May 11, 2015
Music PEI and Bell Media have sponsored a new event for this year’s Canadian Song Conference called the Canadian Song Challenge, giving musicians from across the country the opportunity to collaborate in a unique songwriting project.
One musician from Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba will pair up with an artist from Prince Edward Island to write and record two demo songs. Each pair will have two days to write the songs and pitch them to a panel of 20 top industry leaders from the United States and Canada.
The pairs include:
Dennis Ellsworth (PE) and Donovan Woods (ON)
Ashley Condon (PE) and Small Glories (MB)
Meaghan Blanchard (PE) and Tim Hus (AB)
Coyote (PE) and Dan Mangan (BC)
Tim Chaisson (PE) and Jay Semko (SK)
Following the songwriting challenge, the pairs will perform during the Credit Union May Run Music Festival in Charlottetown from May 14 to May 17, sharing the stage with Stars, Paper Lions, and The Meds.
The Credit Union May Run Music Festival marks the beginning of a nine-month tour for Dan Mangan and his primary project with the Blacksmith band. The group recently released a fourth studio LP last January titled Club Meds, sidestepping the usual folky songwriting of Mangan’s previous albums. “Vessel” takes a page from Peter Gabriel with its animated video and forceful, vocal driven chorus.
Dan Mangan + Blacksmith | VESSEL
Now in its third year, the Canadian Song Conference (CSC) draws industry professionals and musicians from across Canada to bring together a community of people dedicated to the craft of songwriting, covering various topics including studio production and revenue streams. According to their website, CSC does not hold panels on “social media, crowdfunding, or branding”, but says, “while these are all important topics, this new conference will be well-curated to scrutinize the song.”
Rounding off the week’s events, a special keynote speaker will share their knowledge on the craft of songwriting, delivering a “unique perspective for songwriters.”
In other news…
- NMC will be at this year’s Calgary Guitar Show
- And the winners for this year’s Independent Music Awards are…
- Purity Ring, Alvvays to play Halifax Pop Festival
- Shania Twain: first time in 11 years on tour, and people just can’t get enough
- Tanya Tagaq’s thoughts on getting older
- Arcade Fire to open Haitian restaurant
- Tickets on sale now for Saskatchewan Jazz Festival
- Musicians’ mothers compile Mother’s Day playlist
- Steve Kane, Cowboy Junkies inducted into CMI Hall of Fame
- Arcade game to feature likenesses of Metric, Tegan and Sara
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Get at me @LeylandMarie or email@example.com.