February 02, 2015
With a total of five nominations, Toronto-based pop reggae band MAGIC! holds the lead for this year’s JUNO nominations, including Single of the Year, Songwriter of the Year, and Breakthrough Group of the Year.
Their song “Rude” topped Canadian and international charts since its release last February.
MAGIC! – “Rude”
Just behind them with four nominations each, Kiesza and Leonard Cohen land themselves some coveted positions at this year’s JUNOs.
Cohen holds down nominations for Album of the Year, Artist of the Year, Adult Alternative Album of the Year, and JUNO Fan Choice Award.
Kiesza lands nominations for Single of the Year, Breakthrough Artist of the Year, Dance Recording of the Year, and JUNO Fan Choice Award.
Of the total number of nominees for this year’s 44th annual JUNO Awards, an astounding number include newcomers to the nominee list—according to CBC, 86 of the 179 nominees are first-timers! Check out the list of nominees here.
In a fitting choice, Hamilton’s own Arkells are the latest names added to the list of performers for the evening, joining the stage with MAGIC!, Kiesza, Hedley, and Shawn Mendes at Hamilton’s FirstOntario Centre.
The 2015 JUNO Week takes place March 9-15, 2015 in Hamilton.
— Andrew Mosker (@moskerNMC) January 27, 2015
In other news…
- “Vinyl is a niche market, not a sales model”
- How Montreal radio gave Backstreet Boys their start
- Music and hockey meet in Halifax
- Could this be Rush’s last tour? The Star’s Menon thinks so
- Bruce McCulloch: punk music enthusiast (explicit content)
- HMV finds a way to keep afloat in the digital world
- Rich Aucion leads East Coast Music Award Nominations
- Sign the petition, play Oderus Orungus on Mortal Kombat
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Get at me @LeylandMarie or firstname.lastname@example.org.